Let the Experience of our Family Law Attorneys Help You. (713) 781-7775
10 Tips for a Successful Day in Court
1. Arrive downtown at least 45 minutes early to allow for parking and security checks. The fewer items you are carrying (loose change, watches, jewelry, etc.) the faster you will get through security.
2. Plan on being in court all day. We do not control the flow of court cases. Make arrangements with your employer prior to your court date.
3. Do not bring children to court as most judges will not allow them in the courtroom.
4. Do not bring significant others to court as it may cause unnecessary stress and make negotiations more difficult.
5. Do not talk once in the courtroom. Step outside if conversation is necessary.
6. Turn your phone off in the courtroom. If it rings, you may lose it to the court.
7. Wait patiently for your attorney as we may be in another court. If we are elsewhere, the court will be notified and your case will be placed on hold.
8. Do not attempt to litigate your case with your opposing party. That is what you hired us for. If your opposing party’s attorney attempts to talk to you, politely tell them your attorney is on the way and do not answer any further questions.
9. Food is available in the basement in both courthouses. Bring cash as not all cafeterias take credit cards.
10. If a hearing is necessary, do not argue with your spouse or other witnesses in front of the judge. Only answer the questions you are asked. Judges hear these cases daily and can usually tell when someone is not telling the truth. Outbursts are not necessary nor welcomed by the Court.